Clean the ...


So -
This morning I cleaned out 2 closets, finished a worship set of songs for next Sunday's time together, spent time with a serviceman from Sears who can't fix our refrigerator until NEXT Thursday because he needs to order parts (it's been broken since last Thursday), cleaned the snack drawer, did laundry, had devotions, tried to catch up on email and email junk elimination - all before 10:30 AM.    

When I am feel stressed, I clean.  

I don't eat junk - I feel like I'm drowning if I do 'deep breathing', so ... I clean.  (No, I will not come over and 'de-stress' at your house!  Ha!)

This afternoon I dropped off 5 bags of stuff at the Goodwill, and some stuff at the dry cleaners (ugh) for Dennis.  

How could this possibly be encouraging to you?  

Well, while I was making those huge decisions about keeping and donating and throwing away - there was a still, small voice saying, "clean out the hidden places".  

Hmmmm.....

I immediately went and looked under both beds.  No big discoveries there, but, I've been pondering that nudging thought, "clean out the hidden places."

"But who can discern their own errors? Forgive my hidden faults. " Psalm 19:12

"But there is nothing covered up that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known. Accordingly, whatever you have said in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in the inner rooms will be proclaimed upon the housetops."  Luke 12:2-3

I love that God is gentle but direct.

"For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."    Hebrews 4:12

Ah - there it is.  God is addressing the thoughts and attitudes of my heart.  The places I am motivated by fear or rejection or doubt or insecurity.

"Clean out the hidden places."

He wants to be my motivation.  His love.  His anointing.  His Authority.  His purpose.  His faithfulness.  His mercy.  His divine direction and destiny.  Him.  He wants to be my secret place of security and freedom and rest and joy and courage.  Him.

Psalm 91:1-2
Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a]
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”


Isaiah 41:10
Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
    Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
    I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.

Thank you, my God, for showing me the hidden places.  The places I let the stuff of life pile up and weigh me down.  The places I let doubt linger instead of bringing it to You to hold.  Thank you for helping me let go of what needs to ... go, and hold on to ... You.

I am eternally grateful.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These are a few of my favorite things...

What I Have Learned...

Just call me…..SHANIQUA!