My Nose is on Fire

Long, long ago in a far away place...we used to use VHS tape to record events.  We'd use those tapes, and then tape from the copy of the tape.  Basically, you'd see the quality of the recording go down with each generation of copies.  Yes, it was a loooong time ago.

I remember one time I sat down to watch a Christmas Extravaganza that the music department had worked hard at presenting.  When you direct something like that, you don't get the whole picture - so I sat down (by myself) to watch the taped results of months of work and rehearsal and sweat and prayer.

You know what I remember about that tape?  Every time the camera was focused on my face, my nose looked like a flame was coming out of the tip of it.  My nose looked like a Bic lighter.  That's all I remember - large nose - fire coming out of said nose!  The quality of the repeated copying had made this phenomenon happen.  Super great.  Don't remember a single song - just that my nose was on FIRE.

I was reminded of this a couple of weeks ago when a dermatologist took what turned out to be a wart (what?) off of my nose.  She then decided to cauterize it.  I opened my eyes up and saw smoke coming from my nose.  Oh yay.   So weird.

What could I possibly learn from these two experiences????

Well, one is pretty big.  Stay close to the original.  The further we get from the original, the more chance that what we are seeing and believing is not real.  I watch people get further away from the simplicity and very power of the cross.  The simplicity of Jesus is powerful. but I watch people being drawn to things 6 degrees away from Jesus that sound much more exciting and prestigious and even spiritual than...Him.  Please.read.the.words.of.Jesus.

The second experience reminded me that fire is necessary for healing at times.  Maybe I'll attack that thought at another time...

For now -
Jesus said - - -I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me. 
– John 14:6
Jesus said - - - forgive and you will be forgiven.
– Luke 6:37
Jesus said - - - “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves 
and take up their cross and follow me. 
- Matt. 16:24












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These are a few of my favorite things...

Just call me…..SHANIQUA!

Overwhelmed by love