Brown is the new orange...

Just want to check in and report that orange spray tan DOES EVENTUALLY fade.  When last we 'talked', I had just tried my first spray tan because my whiteness can be scary on many levels.  Okay - my first premise might be a bit imaginary but - I think cellulite looks better with a tan on it.  There.  I said it.

The orange glow was only present on my hands and feet - the rest of me was reasonable.  I scrubbed my hands in a variety of creative ways to some success of fade.  But, my feet....oh my feet.  After our flight landed in Maui I took off my shoes, whipped out my flip flops from my backpack, and rolled up my pants that can magically turn into capris.  Oh my stars.  I discovered there is an advantage to fog.  My feet looked orange in GP, but in the Hawaiian sun light they looked just crazy.  Dennis' parting comment (in between laughing episodes) was to point out the stripes (which were below the leopard-like spots on the back of one leg).  When Dennis laughs hard it scares me a little.  He turns red, his eyes tear up, and no sound really comes out.

I waited outside the rent-a-car place for what felt like forever....looking at my feet....finally turning my pants back down to their longest coverage.  Ugh.

Fortunately (?) it rained a lot the first few days we were there.  We still walked on the beach whether it was raining or not.  That is good news for orange feet because sand is a wonderful exfoliate!

Why oh why do I share this with you?  Because.

Because it's not a bad idea to not take everything so seriously.  It's much more fun to relax, and laugh till you cry and can't hardly catch your breath.  And you know what?  We have that choice.

Hang in there with me - - - (this is longer than I usually write)

When you remember your day, what stands out?  The wonder?  The delight?  The good?  Or - the hard, negative, disappointing things?

Let me demonstrate...

We went to an official Luau (with several hundred of our fellow tourists).  In recounting this experience do I tell you that the guy sitting across from me didn't come to the table until most of the meal was finished because he was in the bathroom (and his friends kept talking about him throwing up)?  Do I tell you about sitting at the table that was furthest away from the stage on the side - almost behind the action?  Or, do I tell you that the water was gorgeous - beeeautiful sunset - graceful hula people - and we were the first table to get to go eat?

Whales were abundant and I am a whale lover.  I love that action.  We went out on a raft to get as close as we could.  It was a RAFT.  One man was super upset because he had to sit on the rubber side.  (There were a few seats in the middle of the raft but it was small.)  He wanted to be on the big boat with 1,000 other people...and seats and rails, etc.  It made the start of our adventure a little stinky (and delayed), but what I want to remember is the whale watching.  The baby whale that kept jumping out of the water and kind of spinning - like 15 times.  The graceful action of seeing the tail as a whale went under.  The sound of the whale's song.  The naturalist said that they sing their song without vocal chords or being able to breath through their mouths.  THEY don't know what the song means, but I know.  ALL CREATION SINGS PRAISE.  The different voices singing at the same time brought tears to my eyes.  It makes me cry as I write.  I recorded it.  I want to remember that God creates beauty - the majority of which we do not see or notice or understand - it's wonder-filled to me.

So my challenge for us is to choose what we allow ourselves to meditate on.  Not in denial, but rather a choice to be grateful and not lose the joy and the wonder in life.





Luau - obviously didn't want to pay a pro to take a pic!  Ha.




Webber gourmet lunch.  Nothing beats a sandy sandwich....
(Also, checking to see if DW reads my blog!  Teach him for laughing at my 'tan'!  :-)

*******

Romans 15:13
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by 
the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope." 

Proverbs 17:22
A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

Psalm 33:21
"For our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name." 

Romans 14:17
"For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of 
righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." 

Rev. 5:13
And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!”

Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These are a few of my favorite things...

Just call me…..SHANIQUA!

What I Have Learned...