Growing...



I went to the doctor last week.  It seems that no matter what doctor you go to, they always want to weigh a person before getting around to business.  Really?  Getting my ear's cleaned out - must get weighed first.  Probably have to weigh in before getting my teeth cleaned next.  

I went to the doctor last week, got weighed and found that I have gained 10 pounds in the last 2 months.  Groovy.  How is that even possible.  The doc says of course it is possible because it happened!  What have I done differently?  Nothing, I reply.  

And then I remember...  the 14 large boxes of junior mints that I got for my birthday.   Those mints were so light, so small, so refreshing, so thoughtful, so FUN.  Evidently, I grew larger - one fun mint at a time!  (And I haven't even eaten them all yet! Ugh.)

I could connect this with small sins, attitudes, thoughts that add up to a big load after a while - a big load of heaviness that snuck up on you when you weren't aware, but is suddenly very apparent.

But instead, today I am connecting these mints with each small choice to bless, to choose faith, to be thankful, to pray instead of worry, to trust instead of need to understand.  My hope - no - what I'm counting on is that each LITTLE decision to choose Jesus will add up.  That there will be days when I will be surprised at the territory I have gained, one small step at a time.

I am aware that the analogy should be a picture of eating vegetables not junior mints.  I will tell you that I know that sugar is not a food group - please don't email me about the dangers of sugar and miss my point here.  

My point is - don't discount or dismiss the small things.....either good or bad.  They add up.  They don't just disappear because they are small.  

And, by the way, I still don't know who gave me that driveway full of junior mints, but, thank you!  Thank you for knowing and caring about what I really like.  Thank you for taking the time to make the sign and line up the boxes so they looked so cool.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  It is worth every extra mile I have to walk to lose the weight I gained!!!!!!  Honest!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These are a few of my favorite things...

Just call me…..SHANIQUA!

Overwhelmed by love