Aha! vs. Yikes!


We arrive in Kauai...
Aha! We can watch the whales do their thing from the porch of the cabin we're staying in!
Yikes! We are not just staying on a missile base, but a missile RANGE. For some reason that one word startled me.
We decide to hike...
Aha! Spectacular views of the ocean every once in awhile from 3500 feet!
Yikes! The hike is more like climbing on slippery rocks, or climbing your way up a mountain with the help of roots and tree limbs. (What has slowed me down in the past from taking these kind of hikes is the fact you do have to COME BACK DOWN after you climb UP somewhere.)
Aha-ha! The two men I was hiking with slipped and fell, and I DIDN'T FALL! I didn't fall!!!! Those of you who know me know that this is somewhat of a miracle. Usually my story goes something like, "and then I hit my head or broke some bizzare bone or cut myself in some freakish way", but not this time! Yippee! (They weren't hurt - but their faces as they suddenly landed on their backsides was so great. Yep, I'm laughing out loud as I write this.)

So, what did I learn? That life has aha moments and yikes moments happening at the same time and it's all good - as long as my attitude is not RULED by the "yikes". When you look back over your day (or your life) what do you think of? What went right or what went wrong? What you have, or what you don't have? It's much more strengthening to think about what's true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of GOOD REPORT....if there be any virtue, if there be any praise THINK ON THESE THINGS! (Phil. 4:8)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These are a few of my favorite things...

Just call me…..SHANIQUA!

Overwhelmed by love