Old Dog - New Tricks


We have a dog.  Her name is Noel, and we've had her for about 5 years.  She's a great dog, honestly she is - but lately her level of anxiety (when left alone) has gone through the roof.  It appears she has doggie panic attacks that are very destructive.  It's only been happening during the last few months.

We have a friend who is a professional animal trainer who came over to observe and offer suggestions.  She worked with Noel and gave me some instruction.  It seems that I need re-training more than Noel does.  Noel's thought processing needs to be changed, and Jena assures me it will change - if I'm consistent with our new strategy.  I wondered if Noel's age would hinder the process, but Jena insists it won't.

Sound at all familiar?   Things you've gone through in the past seem to effect how you respond to the present.  You hear words that weren't actually said.  Or, you make words that were said have meaning that is a long way from the intent of that person's heart.  You experience fear which is not based on truth, and ignore things that would help - because change is hard.

Romans 12:2 - Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

I love this verse.  Read it over five times or fifty times.  And then use it as a prayer.

I'm so glad that an old dog (like me) can keep changing and learning.  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These are a few of my favorite things...

Just call me…..SHANIQUA!

What I Have Learned...