Wonder Woman


Confession time...I think (without knowing it) I've always thought I would grow up to be Wonder Women.

There would be a day when I'd have long flowing hair with just the right amount of wave to look great when the breeze blows while I'm sitting on the beach.

I would have a waist, and a core - and maybe not a six-pack but at least a belly that doesn't slide around.

My thighs wouldn't rub together when I walk - sometimes even making my shorts ride up.  Really, there's no graceful way to pull shorts down once the inseam side has scrunched up.  Brutal.

(What is that yellow thing hanging from her side?  Maybe a scarf she can wear 5 different ways so she doesn't need to carry luggage?)

It's an image in my head.  I have not seen the movie or read her autobiography - I just have an image.

That image told me that someday (if I prayed long enough and tried hard enough)  I could fix everything and everyone that had need.  Always, ALWAYS with Jesus - always.  But my part, I thought, would be stronger and braver and more at rest while at the same time more powerful in prayer and commitment and ... well, I guess ...  everything.  I would be Wonder Woman.

Well, guess what.  Big revelation.  I'm not now, nor will I ever be, Wonder Woman.

I exercise now to push back up what gravity seems to be pulling down.

 And, I will let people down.  A lot.

My face doesn't always look "right".  (I was really sad last Sunday, and someone told me my face looked mean.  In the past I've gotten in trouble for smiling too much.)

My prayers don't always produce the answers I so long for, or what I think the person I'm praying for so desires.

I've given my absolute best to being a Jesus follower, a good mom, a good wife, a good pastor's wife, a good worship leader,  a good lover of people - even a good dog owner.   But, I let people down.

So, I turn to my Father with my hands full of all I've just shared with you - arms outstretched - asking Him, "what do I do with all of this?"

He brings my focus back on Him...

Many, Lord my God,
    are the wonders you have done,
    the things you planned for us.
None can compare with you;
    were I to speak and tell of your deeds,
    they would be too many to declare.  Ps. 40:5

Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel, who alone works wonders. And blessed be His glorious name forever; and may the whole earth be filled with His glory. Psalm 72:18-19

Just as a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him; for He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust.
Psalm 103:13-14

“Listen to this, Job (Jeanette); stop and consider God’s wonders.  Job 37:14

I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds. Ps 9:1

...we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and the wonders he has done.  Ps. 78:4

He brings my attention off of my failures and back to His ... wonder.

Father,
Thank you for Your grace... that place of undeserved favor.   Thank you that you remind us that we are made of dust.  Help us to breath in Your grace today, and fix our attention on You - not ourselves. Breath peace and provision and destiny into my brothers and sisters today, my God.
In the Name of Jesus of Nazareth I pray...
Amen

Comments

Anonymous said…
The cartoon drawing of Wonder Woman is not Wonder Woman. The T.V and movie characters are not Wonder Woman. But, you Jeanette, with your wonderful heart, your transparency, and your ability to cling to God, some times with bloody fingernails from life's battles strengthens all of us and makes you Wonder Woman in our eyes.
We Love You!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Popular posts from this blog

These are a few of my favorite things...

What I Have Learned...

Just call me…..SHANIQUA!